Monday, March 10, 2008

new slant

“We’re doing pretty well for ourselves, sure we have some problems, but hey, who doesn’t have them. I mean after all we’re just human.” An average American might say. To this I respond that while yes, we are human, America has some issues that were raised by the founding fathers that have never been resolved. Right now I want to set the tone for the conversation and flow of this blog.
I propose a minimal use of examples, I am more interested in discussing theory. Now examples are necessary, they need to be part of a conversation or there would be nothing but air, there does need to be structure, but I want to avoid uses examples as the crutch of an argument.
To prove how silly examples are here is an extreme example. Lets think about two people, each who have radically different views, the only thing they can agree on is that examples are the only significant way to form a point. They argue for days each finding examples to prove the other wrong, the other concedes his point because the example proved him wrong, then proposes a new point that disproves the point that just disproved his old point, again because of his of an example. Finally one of them cannot come up with another example and so concedes to the other that he was wrong. So in this world the definition of being right is being the most well read. Maybe that is the case, being well read is important, but what if one just reads a lot of garbage written by crazies, I don’t think that makes them right. Plus I’ve been in many political discussions where people start throwing out examples right and left, and I’m left with not being able to share my ideas. So lets use examples to embellish our arguments, but not as their founding principles.

No comments: