Thursday, March 20, 2008

the media

I watched the documentary one Bright Shining Moment about George McGovern in 1972. It made me realize that the feelings I have now are not different from what the college generation was feeling 26 years ago. The next day I was reading the NYT and felt like writing them a letter. They didn't publish it so I'm going to publish it in cyberspace now.
Here it is:
Dear Editor,
I read the article "Obama in Senate: Star Power, Minor Role" by Kate
Zernike and Jeff Zeleny that appeared in the March 9th New York Times with
great interest. I was apprehensive of the critical start of the article,
which i detected by the choice of words such as "self-parody"
"ticked""exploited" and"naive"(a word used in a quote.) I am not trying to
say that Obama is perfect, I don't believe that word can apply to a single
human being on this planet. I am becoming increasingly aware of media
spin and I felt it through those words.
The article then became much more positive. It made an important
point, that political experience, the kind that HRC brags about, is
not necessarily that valuable in bringing about meaningful change.
What horrified me was the way the article ended. It ended with a
quote by Mr. Daschle which said that he might not get another chance
to run. Is that the way the greatest newspaper in the world is going
to end the most poignant political article it has published this year?
With a quote from a politician? Where is the voice of the
journalists? As I was reading this article I felt like the
journalists were forced to concede that Obama is a remarkable
politician. I was waiting for a HRC plug at the end. What the end
was, a bailout, was worse.
I will still read the New York Times, but for this 20 something
political idealist, I will never look up to it as a beacon of
liberalism. It might be the best newspaper in the world. In a world
as twisted as ours, that isn't saying much.
To those of you who were once like me, who once believed that change
might be possible, who at some level believed in the innate goodness
of others, I want you to take a hard look at yourselves. If your 20
year old self could see you, would they be able to reconcile what
they believe with the way you have lived your life? Would you be
able to convince them that being responsible and raising a family
justifies selling out a little? Would they understand that as you
get older its okay to be more cynical, to be more conservative?
Maybe you could convince your 20 year old self, but can you convince
yourself that you could?

1 comment:

Joey Blair said...

You sir are a visionary. I wish this country could have more youths enthusiastic as you are about this great nations political structure (and possible re-structuring) carry on boy! and know that you have many devoted readers.

Archibald Wilhelmn-